So, I understand that I have spoken about STIGMA before but it is a topic that really does affect everyone and the way I figure the more people are open about things that challenge them the better off we will all be. I would have to say one of the biggest disabilities in life is a CLOSED MIND. We have all encountered people like this whether it be at work, at play, at church, a party…. you get the picture. The looks, the mutterings behind backs and the gossip that goes along with all of that. I am sure that most of us have been on the receiving end of these sorts of things at some point in our lives. Think back for a moment and remember, I’m sure you can remember some of the feelings you felt, not good enough, why does it have to be this way, why can’t I be….you know what I’m talking about. I’ve had my share of this kind of nonsense as a child and yes even as an adult but now I know how to handle this m. I can’t imagine being a child in this day and age when there is so much of it going on and in different arenas, especially for some things out of my control. For example, a child with a learning disability, do you know that that child may not be able to read a sentence very well but could rebuild a bike taking it apart once? Or the child with a disease? Why do they get to be teased and bullied? Was it the child’s fault that they were born a little unique? I really dispise labels. Why is it that people, generally, have to label everything? Is it to help us understand or judge? To give us an opprotunity to help or gossip? I really hope that one day education can do exactly what it is suppose to do. When we educate people about something that is different from our “normal” we should be fostering open-mindedness, understanding, tolerance, kindness, a spirit of compassion. I for one sure hope that this will happen one day and that ignorance will have no place in our society but until then ADVOCATING is where I will be for those affected with a “disorder”. Maybe one day the labels will be gone and we’ll just realize that all people need to be treated with care, no matter their postion in life.
- #behope shirts... They should be arriving very soon! send email@example.com a selfie (if you are ok... fb.me/2PAOwXKev 2 days ago
- Check out sweet Hester, our waiting child this Wednesday- is she yours? projecthopeful.org/2014/12/17/wai… 3 days ago
- Merry Christmas from Project Hopeful! - eepurl.com/-2ET5 1 week ago
- It is Waiting Child Wednesday and these two boys have been waiting a very long time to find their family. Please... fb.me/6YQPd3vg1 1 week ago
- WAITING CHILD WEDNESDAY!!! Aiden from Africa... Aiden is a part of the These 400 campaign which hopes to match... fb.me/2BfVS2SkN 2 weeks ago
Find Articles By Topic